Please note, some links in this post may be affiliate links, In fact, just assume they all are. I only recommend products that I use and love. An affiliate link doesn’t cost you more, but I may receive a credit or commission for my recommendation. Thank you for your support!
New to Instagram? Ready to set up an Instagram account for the first time. This simple guide will help you when getting started with Instagram.
What Is Instagram?
Instagram (IG) is a mobile, visual social media platform, a place where people share pictures with their friends, family, and community. In general, people come to IG to see pictures of pretty things. Most businesses who have a presence on Instagram have very appealing graphics on their Instagram pages for exactly that reason. Photos, graphics, and images are the cornerstone of Instagram. Essentially, people follow your Instagram account for visual entertainment.
Get Started With Instagram
Setting up your Instagram account is simple. Just follow these steps:
- From any mobile device go to www.instagram.com
- Follow the on-screen prompts to sign up.
- And…. Your In. Now the fun begins!
Edit your IG Account Profile
Now that your account is created, let’s optimize it for your business. Right from your main screen click “edit profile” and complete all the fields.
- Name – This is searchable is keep that in mind. Change it later if you like.
- Username – This is your IG username. It will all be the lower case with no spaces. Special character use is limited.
- Website – IG only gives you space for one clickable link. If you have one place to funnel your visitors to, GREAT!. If you would like to have the option to link to multiple websites, check out my What is Linktree post.
- Bio – Complete your bio being sure to tell about you and your business. You can include hashtags and account names in your bio.
- Switch to Professional Account – If you are using IG for business, switching to a professional profile will allow you to see analytics. You can always switch back.
- Private Information – Complete these fields. They are not searchable.
- Click DONE top right!
When I started with Social Media I was lucky to have found Brenda Ster and the Sassy Suite. The Suite Success with Instagram video course is a great way to get a jump start on your Instagram Strategy.
Do you still have questions? Drop them in the comments and I will see if I can help.