Please note, some links in this post may be affiliate links, In fact, just assume they all are. I only recommend products that I use and love. An affiliate link doesn’t cost you more, but I may receive a credit or commission for my recommendation. Thank you for your support!
Whether you are a small business owner just starting out or a seasoned soloprenuer building your own direct sales empire, standing out from the crowd and building a personal brand are probably very important to you. Purchasing your own domain name and setting up a redirect is a quick and easy way to set yourself apart. So let’s answer the question… “What is a domain redirect and how can you create one for your direct sales business?”
A quick reminder … Make sure you have checked your companies policies on redirects.
First things first – You Need a Domain
In order to have a domain redirect you must first purchase a domain. A domain (and subdomain redirects) will allow you to turn those long and often confusing website URLs into something more easily remembered. As an example, instead of www.YourCompanyName.com/Niki you could be www.OhHeyNiki.com. Or you may want to redirect your domain to your facebook group URL or maybe even a youtube video.
Step 1 – Purchase a domain.
You can do this with several domain providers. I recently switched all of my domain and website hosting to SITEGROUND. Without a doubt, Siteground has the best customer service and support that I have ever experienced. They also offer FREE email service with your domain and FREE SSL. I am not sure there is a better option out there,
The step by step instructions here are for domains purchased with Siteground.
- Navigate to Siteground and scroll all the way to the bottom and click on DOMAINS under services.
- Next, enter your desired domain and search. -> With Siteground, domains are purchased for a specified period of time. (I always do yearly with auto-renewal) and in conjunction with a hosting plan. The lowest one is perfect if you are not wanting to build a blog or if you are only wanting to build one blog. This nominal monthly fee covers your EMAIL and SSL for much less than you would spend purchasing those separately.
- Choose your hosting Plan. –> As I said above the smallest plan is perfect if you are wanting just a domain or are just starting out with blogging.
- Review your choices and check out,
Step 2 – Viola – You just bought a domain … Now let’s redirect that thing!
Once you are logged into your Siteground account we can get that domain redirected. It’s pretty easy. Just follow these steps.
- Click on your “My Accounts” tab at the top of your user area.
- Click on the RED “go to cPanel” button near the top of your screen. You may see a warning box pop up. It is OK to dismiss it. However, once you are in your cPanel be sure of what you are doing before you make changes.
- The domains section is at the very to and you will see an icon for REDIRECTS. Click this icon
- Here is where you will fill in your redirect info.
- I always leave the type as permanent
- Use the drop-down to select the domain you wish to redirect elsewhere.
- In the “redirects to” field enter the place you want your domain to redirect to (such as your shopping site or FB page”
- Choose the radio button beside “redirects with or without www”
- Click ADD.
High Five … You just created a redirect.
This process can take several minutes up to 48 hours. I’ve personally never seen it take 15 minutes.
A few Domain Redirect Ideas :
- Your LinkTr.ee or Tap.bio
- Your Business Shopping Site
- A Demo Video (uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo)
- Facebook Group or Page
- A Sample Request Form
- Any other website you can think of
I hope this was easy to follow. Are you all set with your new domain? Drop a comment with your new domain redirect. I love to celebrate your wins.
Love this info and wanna pin it?? Here is a great graphic for Pinterest.;